FILIPINO RECIPE ~ PINOY PORK ADOBO ~
PINOY PORK ADOBO INGREDIENTS
1/2 kilo pork cut in cubes + 1/2 kilo chicken, cut into pieces or
choice of either 1 kilo of pork or 1 kilo of chicken
1 head garlic, minced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup vinegar
2 cups of water
1 teaspoon paprika
5 laurel leaves (bay leaves)
4 tablespoons of cooking oil or olive oil
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons water
PINOY PORK ADOBO PROCEDURE
- In a big sauce pan or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of oil then sauté the minced garlic and onions.Add the pork and chicken to the pan. Add 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, vinegar, paprika and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or when meat is tender.
- Remove the pork and chicken from the sauce pan and on another pan, heat cooking oil and brown the pork and chicken for a few minutes.
- Mix the browned pork and chicken back to the sauce and add cornstarch dissolved in water to thicken.
- Add salt and/or pepper if desired. Bring to a boil then simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with the adobo gravy and plain rice.
TIP: You have the option to add crushed ginger to the onions and garlic when sautéing. Ginger adds a unique flavor to your pork/chicken adobo.