FILIPINO RECIPE ~ PINOY NILAGA ~
PINOY NILAGA INGREDIENTS
1 kilo beef, cut into 1 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ cubes
8 potatoes cut the same size as the beef
1 bundle Pechay (Bok choy) cut into 2 pieces
1 small cabbage, quartered
5 onions, diced
1 head garlic, minced
4 tablespoons of patis (fish sauce)
3 tablespoons of cooking oil
10 corns of black pepper
1 liter of water
Salt and pepper to taste
PINOY NILAGA PROCEDURE
- In a big casserole, heat oil and sauté the garlic and onions. Add water, the beef, black pepper and patis. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hour or until the beef is tender.
- Add the potatoes. Continue to simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Add the cabbage then the pechay. Do not over cook the vegetables.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve steaming hot in a bowl and plain white rice.
TIP: You can substitute the beef with chicken (chicken stew) or pork (pork stew) for variety.