KINILAW PUSO NG SAGING INGREDIENTS:
1 Tbsp oil
2 tsp minced garlic
1 small onion – sliced
1 puso ng saging (banana heart) – about 500 gm
125 gm cooked shelled clams/mussels – roughly chopped or flaked canned tuna
3/4 cup vinegar
1 1/2 cup water or shrimp juice*
salt and pepper to taste
KINILAW PUSO NG SAGING PROCEDURES:
1. Unwrap the banana heart (see above left) until you get to the mainly white part (see above right). Cut off the stem part and discard together with the skin that you unwrapped.
2. Put water in a large bowl and add salt. Make sure salt is dissolved in the water.
3. Slice the banana heart into 1/2 inch thick pieces. As you slice, immediately put them in the bowl of salted water. This is to prevent them from turning black. Set aside.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan. Saute garlic and onion.
5. Add in the clams or mussels meat. Season with salt and pepper according to taste. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
6. Add in vinegar and water, bring to boil.
7. Drain the banana heart and squeeze out excess water.
8. Stir in the the banana heart into the saucepan. Simmer until fully cooked – about 5-10 minutes.
9. Remove from heat and serve.